Monday, 26 March 2012

Two cars on a sunny day - why not?

The weather was just about perfect over the weekend. My wife and I had a full diary of midwife visits, lunch with friends (who also have kids) and Tesco shopping. Not the most scintilating weekend in history.

But with the sun shining and the cleads parting, I decided it was just the right temp to go targa in the Chim. So off came the roof for the first time ever. I found the experience really easy. Leightweight roof, simple mechanical strut braces for the back section. Why do we need to weigh cars down with power roofs? What's the point. i can get mine off and in the boot and back on again in 30 seconds. Simple.

The problem was that me, wife, and child could not all fit in the Chim. And given the weather was so lovely I wasn't about to spend my day in the Chelsea tractor. But my wife had a problem with this. "Why do we need to take two cars?".

I think this is sort of comment you have to expect from people who don't love the smell of petrol quite so much but I know my wife loves a great car. She's owned sports cars since she started driving, including a drop top Alfa which she loved (and I wrote off) so she gets it. The problem is that motherhood has made her perceptions of driving and vehicles change. I, like any father of one, (soon to be two) recognise the mertis of a Touareg. Who wouldn't. It's safe, reliable, comfortable and massive. It's a perfect family car.

But it's a rubbish summer's day car. So the question she asked me really needs reversing. Why, when you have a car like the TVR, that has just been made perfect through large scale spending, would you leave it on the drive on a sunny day? Seriously, this is a no brainer for the TVR owner surely.

The problem is that when you have kids you are supposed to have a change in your actions, perceptions and responsibilities. I get that and I subscribe to it. Life isn't the same. But the first thing everyone discusses when entering into this conversation is what car you drive now compared to the ones you drove before. Why? As long as you have one sensible car why should you not own, and therefore drive a neckbreaker? Why should you not lavish attention and pride on a beautiful machine? Look at the picture below. How many of you could honestly say you would walk away from that and into a 4x4 on a beautiful day?



From my perspective having a car like this with a child is a brilliant combination. My father in law always had sports cars when his kids were young and what are their most vivid childhood memories? Driving with their Dad in the Porsche, or the Corvette, or the Merc convertible. They will never forget. Likewise, my Dad always owned classics - to this day we have a strong bond due in no small part to the love of cars I obtained when he let me sit beside him and exposed me to their sounds, smells and looks.

When my daughter looks back on her childhood I want her to remember Dad's noisy, brutal, beautiful TVR and remember how much fun we had in it. I know a lot of people see their cars as escapism but I see mine as a tool for inclusion - something to bind me with a particularly special time and a particulalry special person. Why exclude my little girl from the things which I enjoy? After all - when you smile on your own blasting down the road in a TVR, don't you ocaisionally think you'd like someone to share it with?

So regardless of the environmental impact, and the cost, and everything else, I will continue to take two cars everywhere when the weather is lovely. And probably when it's not as well because I know it won't be too long before we hear the little one pipe up "Mummy, can I go with Daddy in his car". And then the fun will really begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment