Bugger. Oil pressure has dropped through the floor and looks like there's a problem already. Knackers.
So I've got a good five hundred miles under my belt and thought I was safe but it appears there was a bit more work to do before this beast left it's last home.
The Bible advises in every way it can that low oil pressure means stop, don't drive it, get it to your garage, and get it looked at. So instead I nursed it home and it doesn't appear to have been catastrophic so I'm looking on this in a couple of realistic ways:
1. Low oil pressure does not mean end of engine. I've been reliably informed it could be one of many different issues, most of which are easy fixes and low cost. So I'm being pragmatic about it from this angle.
2. Given what I paid for the car I set aside £1k for 'post delivery mileage faults' so I'm looking on the first 500 as a shakedown which has thrown up a rather important issue. And better I find this now, than half way to Italy on a driving holiday. So if it takes a week or so and a few fifties to get it ship shape, so be it, I knew what I was in for when I bought the car.
More on this in a couple of days once I've had it checked.....and the speedo that's less than accurate.
In other news, the car has now been viewed extensively by my two year old daughter who says it's too noisy. Which is a shame because she loved the noisy old Sunbeam I used to run and now she seems to have taken an instant dislike to my pride and joy. I suspect that, in time, she'll come to love it but for now she has hands clamped over ears when in the vicinity of the beast firing up.
My wife, on the other hand, loves it. But she can't reach the pedals given she is a. short and b. heavily pregnant. So the good news it that the Chim is mine and mine alone for at least a few months until she realises that the pedal settings can be adjusted to move towards the driver's feet. Until that time, and once it's back from the repair shop, I reckon I can squeeze in several thousand miles of fun and a trip to Le Mans. Who's with me?
No comments:
Post a Comment