The car's finally back. It's taken ten phone calls and two large cheques but the short story is that the car was OK but not perfect and I had the opportunity to make it so, so I did.
The speedo problem turned out to be a differential problem. I don't know a lot about this so when told the seals and bearings were knackered I started to glaze over and say things like 'yes, sounds good' and 'expensive but probably worth it'. The car has now been returned to me with a rebuilt differential and a speedo that works.
I was also told that the oil pressure issue was something called an oil pressure relief valve. Again, no idea but it costs £200 to fix and now it works apparently.
What does this actually mean for me? Well it means I have spend the thick end of £1200 including pickup and delivery of the car and I have correct oil pressure and a speedo that works. On the face of it this sounds like a lot for a little but actually it's been a good value spend.
When I bought the car, as you get with any second hand purchase, 100 miles of driving threw up some issues a 10 minute test drive cannot. You start to notice things when you've been in the car for a while. Little things that start to annoy you and small items that quickly become big issues. So my first 120 miles was really a shakedown - a proper driving test. I had assumed that, given the TVR is basically a mass produced kit car, it would have one or two foibles. So I set aside £1k on top of the asking price for the first round of work. What I sent away was a 80% car. What I got back was a 100% car. Nothing needs doing on this motor for a while now and it drives like a brand new car.
My experience has been that I parted with about a grand, and got a car that doesn't stall when hot, tells me what speed its doing all time (reducing the need for unslightly sat nav on the windscreen) and starts when I need it to, everytime, without fail. It also makes a better noise than it used to thanks to some tuning by Chris Draycott Motorsport during its time with them.
As someone who is an everyday owner and a weekend driver, this is money massively well spent. I know that if I had left things as they were, that speedo issue would have annoyed me enough to want to sell the car. I know that the stalling due to low oil pressure would have made each journey a nervous expeirence not a joyous one, and the whine from the diff would have put me off getting in the damn thing at the start of each day.
As it stands, I come home from work and want to turn the key. I want to drive it 250 yards up the road for milk. And I want to enjoy it. After all, why do we buy these cars if we aren't prepared to get them to a level where we CAN use them daily. The financial cost of that is minimal in comparison.
The weekend approaches and I am considering taking my 2 year old out in the Chim for the first time. So expect a report soon written with one hand as I break my wrist trying to get the car seat in.....
Happy driving, people.
Really enjoying reading about the Chim. Nice to read about real-world ownership experiences, particularly with something as potentially temperamental/wallet-busting as a TVR.
ReplyDeleteWell it's already not been cheap but before I bought the chim I was looking at a Porsche 996 C4S. That would have cost me about £1k a year in servicing and parts but would have also cost the thick end of £20k to buy in the first place. So even with the recent spend (which should cover me for a year) I am £10k better off, with a more unique car, and a better noise when I turn the key. Who needs a waterproof roof anyway.....
DeleteI bet your 2 year old will be asleep in minutes, happens everytime to my 3 :) its the noise!
ReplyDelete